- After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
– Aldous Huxley
2. Beethoven can write music, thank GOD – but he can do nothing else on earth.
– Lugwig van Beethoven
3. It is the best of all trades to make songs, and the second best to sing them.
– Hilaire Belloc
4. Jazz is the only music in which the same note can be played night after night but differently each time.
– Ornette Coleman
5. Music touches places beyond our touching.
– Keith Bosley
6. Nothing is better than music….It has done more for us than we have the right to hope for.
– Nadia Boulanger
7. When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and will never have.
– Edgar Watson Howe
8. Light quirks of music, broken and uneven
Make the soul dance upon a jig of heaven.
– Alexander Pope
9. Who hears music, feels his solitude peopled at once.
– Robert Browning
10. Music with dinner is an insult, both to the cook and the violinist.
– G.K Chesterton
11. A nation creates a music – the composer only arranges it.
– Mikhail Glinka
12. Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature can’t do without.
13. Music first and last should sound well, should allure and enchant the ear. Never mind the inner significance.
– Thomas Beecham
14. If a literary man puts together two words about music, one of them will be wrong.
– Aaron Copland
15. Music is given to us specifically to make order of things, to move from an anarchic, individualistic state to a regulated, perfectly conscious one, which alone insures vitality and durability.
– Igor Stravinsky
16. I think popular music in this country is one of the few things in the twentieth century that have made giant strides in reverse.
– Bing Crosby